[sf-lug] semi-OT: help with dying disk

matt.price at utoronto.ca matt.price at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 14 23:01:52 PDT 2008

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:

> Quoting Blake Haggerty (Blake.Haggerty at Sapphire.com):
>
>> I could have sworn that Kristian had brought up an article about
>> Ubuntu killing hard drives on laptops awhile back but I couldn't find
>> it in my emails. I did a quick google search and the problems your
>> experiencing (power and HD failure) seem to be described here....
>>
>> http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2007/10/28/laptop-hardrive-killer-bug-how-to-discover-whether-you-are-affected/
>
> Chicken Little has a blog.  Who'd have thunk?
>
> Anyhow, yes, the whole overblown flap was raised here last Halloween.
> My posts to that thread:
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2007q4/002595.html
> http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2007q4/002599.html

rick, your posts suggest that the disk's manufacturer makes a big
difference hwen you're on a laptop -- for some there'll be no
satisfactory solution, for others you'll want to set an aggressive
power management in the software, for still others you really DON'T
want to do that.  can you suggest a resource for deciding what brands
to use, or give some advice yourself?

thanks again!!

matt