[sf-lug] Consumer & admin (was: Possibly interesting data point on jobs postings)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue May 16 14:53:51 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:35:49AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Each Linux distribution has its own graphical solution for that task
> (often front-ending a command-line app).  E.g., the mere fact that I
> talk on this mailing lists about use of the apt-get command-line tool on
> Debian, Ubuntu, etc. doesn't prevent various graphical front-ends to it
> from existing and working well.

FWIW, when my wife's laptop hard drive died a while back, and we sent it
out for RMA replacement, I burned a Kubuntu disc and let her use it as
a liveCD.

Being a KDE environment by default, it didn't come with some tools she
prefers -- Firefox, Gnumeric, maybe a few others -- so I looked around
and discovered Adept, the package management front-end for Kubuntu.
(It's the KDE counterpart to GNOME's "Synaptic", apparently.)

I was able to install, into RAMdisk, the apps she needed (remember -- this
machine had no HDD inside it at the time!), and it worked excellently!

I Googled a little, and found this review of Adept:
(They included some nice screenshots in the review.)

  http://highlander.cricalix.net/breezy-badger-and-adept/

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com