[sf-lug] Consumer & admin (was: Possibly interesting data point on jobs postings)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 16 11:35:49 PDT 2006

Quoting Sarah Mei (sarahmei at gmail.com):

> It seems like a lot of effort has gone in to making Linux's desktop
> and consumer-facing applications feel familiar, but administration is
> still the realm of the technically able.

It would help if you would specify what roughly you mean when you say
"administration".  Long, sad experience suggests that miscommunication
over such words is not only possible but also likely.  What *I* mean
when I say "system administration" might be very different.

On the MS-Windows side, you mention "automatic updates, antivirus,
antispyware" as being "baseline Windows admin".  The latter two are
basically pointless on Linux (as such), so do you mean just updates?

Each Linux distribution has its own graphical solution for that task
(often front-ending a command-line app).  E.g., the mere fact that I
talk on this mailing lists about use of the apt-get command-line tool on
Debian, Ubuntu, etc. doesn't prevent various graphical front-ends to it
from existing and working well.

I'm not the best person to ask about those and other graphical
administrative tools, because I don't use them, but can try to help if
you identify what you're curious about.