[sf-lug] Mandrakelinux 10.1 compatable sound card

John Lowry johnlowry at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 09:28:09 PDT 2006

Before I even start if anyone sees any inaccuracies or something that is not
explained that well, I beg you to please correct me.
Okay, before you go dropping money on this whole deal, I think that this
card will work with linux. You have the Soundblaster CT4170 which is a ISA
sound card. It was sold as a Soundblaster 16. This will work if you use the
snd-sb16 module. Here are some of the links that you will need to get it up
and run. It might even require a kernel recompile if you do not have module
Before you try to recompile and all that jazz see if you have the modules
there first. Then all you have to do is get them inserted into the kernel.
Type:
modinfo soundcore

at the command line.  That will tell you if you have the modules or not. If
you do, booyah, no need to recombile. Type:
modprobe snd-sb16;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe
snd-seq-oss

These will load the modules into the kernel and you should be working.
Typing
alsaconf

will bring up the sound configuration dialogue. You have to turn stuff up,
because it starts off muted by default.
Here are some links that helped me when I ran into some of the same issues,
with more detailed instructions. The first link is probably going to be the
most helpful for your specific card, and will tell you how to set it up so
the modules load at boot:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Sound+Blaster+Vibra16X.&chip=sb16&module=sb16#intro
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Creative_Labs#matrix
http://www.irlp.net/owners/sb_cards.html
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Sound-HOWTO/x504.shtml#AEN882

On 4/19/06, Alex Kleider <a_kleider at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've discovered that the Soundblaster CT4170 sound card in the old
> computer on which I've been exploring Linux isn't supported.
> The web site http://frontal2.mandriva.com/en/hardware/
> lists NO Creative Technology card to be supported
> nor does it list either of the only other brands carried by BestBuy
> (Dynex or Turtle Beach.)
>
> My question then is :
> can anyone suggest a card that I could get to serve my fairly primitive
> needs; nothing fancy, just to be able to listen if there's an audio
> component to something that I down load.
> I DON'T need surround sound or anything.
> But I would like something I can go and get easily (Fry's maybe,
> although I could order something on line.)
>
> This can't be a "first time problem" so I'm hoping someone has an
> answer and I thank that person (those people) in advance.
>
> Alex
>
> alex at kleider.net

John Lowry