[sf-lug] Mandrakelinux 10.1 compatable sound card

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 19:59:41 PDT 2006

I've discovered that the Soundblaster CT4170 sound card in the old
computer on which I've been exploring Linux isn't supported.
The web site http://frontal2.mandriva.com/en/hardware/
lists NO Creative Technology card to be supported
nor does it list either of the only other brands carried by BestBuy
(Dynex or Turtle Beach.)

My question then is :
can anyone suggest a card that I could get to serve my fairly primitive
needs; nothing fancy, just to be able to listen if there's an audio
component to something that I down load.
I DON'T need surround sound or anything.
But I would like something I can go and get easily (Fry's maybe,
although I could order something on line.)

This can't be a "first time problem" so I'm hoping someone has an
answer and I thank that person (those people) in advance.

Alex

alex at kleider.net