[sf-lug] sf-lug Digest, Vol 5, Issue 20

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 20:55:50 PDT 2006

First, thankyou very much for the help I'm getting;
Here's what I can report so far-
1. I tried the modinfo soundcore command which went unrecognized until
I   got the  bright idea of trying it as Root user with the  following
result:
[root at localhost alex]# modinfo soundcore
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko.gz
author:         Alan Cox
license:        GPL
alias:          char-major-14-*
vermagic:       2.6.8.1-12mdk 686 gcc-3.4
depends:

the alsaconfig command is unrecognized  even if comming from root:
[root at localhost alex]# alsaconf
bash: alsaconf: command not found
[root at localhost alex]#

Another clue is that at  boot I get the  following message:
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device  /dev/dsp can't be  oopened (no such file or directory)
The sound server will continue using the null output device.

in fact it's true: there is no dsp file on the /dev directory.

I'm a little timid about typing:

modprobe snd-sb16;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe
snd-seq-oss

is  this literally what I should type? I've not seen terminal commands
contain semi-colons.
I'll do it with a little reassurance and encouragement!

Thanks, John (and to Davide who has been sending me some help as well.)

I'll keep at this for a while but am also in the process of following
Davide's advice and burning a Kbuntu live CD to see if I might want to
switch from Mand..linux.

alex at kleider.net