[sf-lug] meeting news, books, free Ubuntu

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Apr 2 16:03:03 PDT 2006

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

> Next meeting is at San Francisco State U., on
> 19th at Holloway, Tuesday, April 11, from 6:30 PM
> to 9:00 PM.

I'm guessing that the exact venue (building, room) hasn't been nailed
down, yet, right?  It's kind of a big campus.

>     Ubuntu came up in discussion repeatedly.
> You can get Ubuntu for free:
> http://www.ubuntu.com
> http://www.canonical.com/
> You'll have to register.... I ordered five for
> give-away.

Reminds me:  I've been massively revising some pages on the SVLUG Web
site, preparing to migrate it to wiki format
(which you can see being prototyped if you pardon the dust -- i.e.,
please ignore the aesthetics, which are still a rough cut, especially on
the front page, and intended to be re-done before launch).

  Existing site:  http://www.svlug.org/
  Prototype future (wiki-based) site:  http://gemini.starshine.org/SVLUG/

One of the pages _most_ out of date -- much of it about eight years out
of date -- was the "Link Farm" page, http://www.svlug.org/farm.shtml --
including its list of major Linux distributions,
http://www.svlug.org/farm.shtml#sw-dist .

As you can see, Ubuntu (in its various flavours) is among the
distributions now highlighted on that page -- and below those 11 distros
are four pages deemed most helpful to newcomers in selecting Linux
distributions.

I've also beefed up (and corrected) the list of groups to bring it in
line with BALE, revamped and expanded the (previously rather pathetic)
"Linux Jobs" category, tracked down all Bay Area Linux hardware
vendors I could find, and listed known Bay Area retailers selling Linux
distribution media.

If people can think of anything I've missed, reminders would be most
helpful.  E.g., if someone wants to go to some of the stores and
_write down_ what distros they carry, that would be great.