[conspire] Ruby, Python, Swift, and Languages

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sat Feb 15 13:09:08 PST 2020

On Feb 15, 2020, at 07:04, Elise Scher <elise.scher01 at gmail.com> wrote:

>      You see, I am already a bit of an amateur linguist. I grew up speaking English and some Yiddish. I studied French and German in high school and a bit in college. I learned about phonemes and such while taking classes about teaching younger students to read. That was part of my studies to get my preliminary special education teaching credential.

While you certainly have background to go into compling, I think I ought to bring up another marketable skill you may not have realized you had: bidi. One of the specific problems of internationalization is bidirectional text and the specific problems around text editing and text presentation of same. A lot of the work on WebKit’s bidi was done by a single engineer early on.

Also, internationalization teams, even if you don’t know a *specific* language, are always looking for people who can help on larger projects to nail down aspects of i18n, e.g.:

https://jobs.apple.com/en-us/details/200144546/internationalization-software-engineer?team=SFTWR <https://jobs.apple.com/en-us/details/200144546/internationalization-software-engineer?team=SFTWR>

Deirdre