[conspire] Ruby, Python, Swift, and Languages

Elise Scher elise.scher01 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 07:04:05 PST 2020

My daughter Rebecca, different last name, is 18 years old and a freshman at
Northeastern University in Boston. She is majoring in computer science. She
programmed and participated in hackathons before college. She approves of
my starting to study computational linguistics.
     You see, I am already a bit of an amateur linguist. I grew up speaking
English and some Yiddish. I studied French and German in high school and a
bit in college. I learned about phonemes and such while taking classes
about teaching younger students to read. That was part of my studies to get
my preliminary special education teaching credential. I even took one extra
class in that area. I also had to take a class in speech and (non) verbal
communication. I know something about nonverbal communication systems from
both school and work. I have taught most all kinds of students on the mild
to moderate to severe spectrum. I have also taught lower levels of math. I
am not a math genius, like my son Joseph. But I have taught Algebra several
times. Even some trig and geometry. I would say I am better than average at
math. The average is quite low.
     Anyhow, I have been thinking about studying computational linguistics
for a while now. I have started to watch free videos on CL. I hope to study
this at a university - remotely if possible.
     Rebecca claims that CL is in demand. We will see. I just like to study.

Elise Scher