[conspire] Let's look at fluview

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Wed Apr 29 15:40:54 PDT 2020

 Adding my 2 cents to this thread.  Germs are real.  They have been proven by science.  They are not opinion.

Public Health Departments were created in the 1800's because of epidemics in London, NYC and other places.  Laws were passed giving the Health Department authority for public health and safety.  They have long had the power to quarantine people because of disease.  The past few years, Public Health has been mostly trying to convince some parents that children need measles vaccine.

In January, the news had stories about a new disease could be a serious problem.  The Chinese had no way of knowing how bad COVOD19 might be.  They had seen past problems that sort of played themselves out.  But when they finally recognized that this was different, well they have ways of "encouraging" behavior that we would find totally unacceptable.
POTUS said, we have have great people.  We have amazing medicine.  It won't be a problem. Prez Bush created a department to monitor possible disease outbreaks and national security.  Obama increased that department.  Trump closed it.  Early on, Trump could have gotten an Admiral or General who was experienced in complex operations and told him to figure it out.  Trump failed to act.   Now the US has more cases than any other country, including China which has a much bigger population.

The stay at home orders here did not start with politicians, it was the head of the County Health Department.  She had a lot of knowledge of infectious diseases and had studied Ibola and Zikka and SARS and MERS.  She was alarmed at what she saw, consulted with 6 other health departments and got all of the science experts to agree on the necessary action.  It was when they were about to make the joint public press conference that the Mayor of SF grabbed the microphone.
It was several days before Gov Newsom joined in.  I happened to hear his first press conference.  He had already talked to the presidents of major banks about forbearance on evictions.  Then he specifically called out B of A for not joining in.  The Gov knows he does not have the authority to order banks, but he does have a microphone.
And the CA politicians take care to not disagree with the health department people.  If there is a question from the press, the gov hands the mike to the health department official. They don't make crazy statements like injecting or ingesting disinfectants.
 I have been plotting the SC county cases.  In early March they said to wash hands and avoid large gatherings.  A couple weeks later the rate of new cases slowed.  The said "stay at home", two weeks later the rate dropped again.  They gave a more narrow definition of essential business and the rate dropped yet again.
The officials in NY, did not react as early. The number of cases and number of deaths in all of CA has been less than most of the boroughs of NYC.  The facts speak for themselves.

OK, now  the conditions for the local hospitals are, well stable.  They have enough ventilators, beds and body bags.  They also have some more experience on how to manage the disease and possibly anticipate the next problem with any one patient.
However, until there is a vaccine, the number of cases and number of deaths will continue to rise.  Maybe we won't need the temporary field hospitals, but it's small consolation to the family if a loved dies next month or in November instead of next week.  I would guess that a significant proportion of CABAL people are at risk because of age and/or other conditions  We need to do some unpleasant things for the benefit of not just ourselves, but our friends and neighbors.

People can recover from being broke and hungry and stir-crazy.  They can't recover from dead.

BTW, another 1800's expert was Dr Lister who insisted surgeons wash before operating.

    On Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 4:09:31 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> He builds up to a routine that says the panet will get rid of us with a
> virus.

OK, thanks.  I'll probably watch it, then.  I hope you're familiar with
Terry Gilliam's shaggy-dog (er, shaggy-monkey) 1995 science fiction movie
'12 Monkeys'?

  [...]
  The movie uses its future world as a home base and launching pad for
  the central story, which is set in 1990 and 1996, and is about a time
  traveler trying to save the world from a deadly plague.

  The traveler is Cole (Bruce Willis), who in the opening shots lives
  with a handful of other human survivors in an underground shelter put
  together out of scrap parts and a lot of wire mesh.  The surface of the
  planet has been reclaimed by animals, after the death of 5 billion
  people during a plague in 1996.

  Cole is plucked from his cage and sent on a surface expedition by the
  rulers of this domain, who hope to learn enough about the plague virus
  to defeat it.  Later, he is picked for a more crucial mission:  He will
  travel back in time and gather information about the virus before it
  mutated.  (The movie holds out no hope that he can "stop" it before it
  starts; from his point of view, the plague has already happened, and so
  the future society is seeking treatment, not prevention.)
  [...]

https://web.archive.org/web/20090215021903/http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F19960105%2FREVIEWS%2F601050301%2F1023

  Jeffrey Goines [Brad Pitt]:  You know what crazy is?  Crazy is
  majority rules.  Take germs, for example.

  James Cole [Bruce Willis]:  Germs?

  Jeffrey Goines:  Uh-huh.  Eighteenth century: no such thing, nada,
  nothing.  No one ever imagined such a thing.  No sane person.  Along comes
  this doctor, uh, Semmelweis, Semmelweis.  Semmelweis comes along.  He's
  trying to convince people, other doctors mainly, that's there's these
  teeny tiny invisible bad things called germs that get into your body and
  make you sick.  He's trying to get doctors to wash their hands. What is
  this guy?  Crazy?  Teeny, tiny, invisible?  What do they call it?  Uh-uh,
  germs?  Huh?  What?  Now, up to the 20th century — last week, as a matter
  of fact, before I got dragged into this hellhole — I go in to order a
  burger at this fast-food joint, and the guy drops it on the floor.
  James, he picks it up, he wipes it off, he hands it to me like it's all
  OK.  "What about the germs?" I say.  He says "I don't believe in germs.
  Germs is a plot made up so they could sell disinfectants and soaps."  Now
  he's crazy, right?  See?  Ah!  Ah!  There's no right, there's no wrong,
  there's only popular opinion.  You... you... you believe in germs, right?

Post-modern wisdom from two characters in a fictional insane asylum.
(The bit about Dr. Ignatz Semmelweis is true.  He died, in the end, in
an insane asylum, in disgrace.)

Kurt Vonnegut considered Semmelweiss a once-in-a-lifetime hero.
http://particle.physics.ucdavis.edu/Misc/Semmelweis.html