[conspire] Let's look at fluview

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Apr 29 16:56:38 PDT 2020

On Apr 29, 2020, at 15:40, paulz at ieee.org wrote:

> The officials in NY, did not react as early. The number of cases and number of deaths in all of CA has been less than most of the boroughs of NYC.  The facts speak for themselves.

What’s been harming NYC more is the reliance on public transit as well as the lack of social distance as a norm. I’ve lived in mid-town (and am *so* glad I do not live there now).

So I want to talk a bit about what the Mormon church (much as it currently annoys them to be called that) did right. They are a gerentocracy; people rise up through the ranks of local leadership, bishop, area 70, some other set of seventies, a first presidency (implying a not-first presidency) and then three guys up top. So by the time you get there, you’re about to kick it, biologically speaking. The current Prophet (as the head is called) was 93 when he got the position. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_M._Nelson

They called off meetings early and have shut it down, and have continued to just blast (quietly) families and bishops that have tried to hold meetings in groups or send people around. There are tons of threads and quite a few things have gotten press:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/03/22/virus-outbreak-brings/

The higher ups were *really* unhappy about that, especially this pic that went viral:

https://twitter.com/LOTUS3030/status/1242981352816947207

And People Were Called and Contrition Was Done and Adult Men Cried (it’s a Mormon thing).

But, overall, despite how large and close-knit Utah communities are, infection rates have been low despite the anti-science pro-MLM DoTerra arm of adherents. (For those who don’t know, Utah and Idaho are MLM central.)

I mean, just to give you an idea how far out there some of them are, you can visit this horrifying rabbit hole about two missing kids and dead ex-spouses and relatives and stuff: https://www.eastidahonews.com/news/daybell/ timeline to help with sanity: https://www.reddit.com/r/LoriVallow/comments/g6i4ji/categorical_timeline_of_events_surrounding_lori/

Anyhow.

The other thing is that there are still highly ethnic neighborhoods around NYC and larger east coast cities that there aren’t as much around the west coast because of how it was settled and because of subsequent migration. This makes any local genetic and social factors a double whammy, unfortunately.

So last night, immediately before a certain rant, This Happened.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/nyregion/coronavirus-jews-hasidic-de-blasio.html

What has really been unfortunately lost in communicating how the NYC COVID issue’s been unfolding is that the various Jewish communities (and in particular the Hasidic) are hit ten times harder than the rest of the city per capita, and that there really hasn’t been effective outreach to them on this.

It’s weirdly the inverse of the plague, where the Jews in the Renaissance were mistrusted because they *weren’t* catching the plague. Which they weren’t catching because the habits of cleanliness kept the rats out of their neighborhoods. Venice, having canals, cleverly kept the Ghetto clear. (Ghetto actually being a Venetian word, fwiw.) The papacy wanted Venice to interdict the Jews and Venice said nope, and that was the end of papal interdicts. (Go, Venice!)

But, different illness, different means needed to combat it, unfortunately.

Deirdre