[conspire] That costs extra

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 22:30:19 PDT 2019

The costcutting Rick describes it the typical MBA business practice.
When you hear me going off on MBAs, this is the braindead thinking that Im
going off on.

Weve had an epidemic of regulating bodies permiting the regulated companies
to regulate themselves.
The FAA either didnt have the manpower or the expertise to regulate Boeing
so they left the fox run the henhouse.

Some sort of action should be taken against the FAA allowing this or we
will have a repeat.

On the other hand Boeing, should be required to retrofit all the Maxs AT
THEIR EXPENSE.
Until they do, the costs airlines have to pay for parking the aircraft
should be sent to Boeing and those parking fees are STEEP!
The airlines are going to expect the feds to reimburse them for parking
fees but the taxpayers shoundt have to pay them, Boeing should.

This needs to be a near bankrupting experience for Boeing, and it should
badly wound the stockholders.
Like maybe all dividends sent to victims families instead of stockholders
for several years?
Otherwise, the MBAs will continue getting people killed.
As long as stockholders get dividends when the company screws up, it makes
it OK to keep screwing up.
Block the dividends and the stockholders will start firing management, and
thats what REALLY needs to happen.

People screamed when Obama practically wiped out the GM stockholders, but
it was the stockholders own fault for not firing inept management years ago.
Having GM fail and overnight adding over 50k people to the unemployement
roles would have dramatically destabilized the US.

NPR, I think Planet Money did a great program on why nobody went to jail
for the 2008 meltdown.
I recommend it.

I never thought it would happen.  Trump finally did something I agree
with.  He grounded all Boeing Max aircraft.
Now if he hangs tough and doesnt "mug wump" like he did on N Korea, weak,
but appropriate screws might be put to Boeing.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 12:56 AM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Here's the narrative Boeing Company has been feeding to the press about
> the 737 MAX:  'Oh, this is just a pilot-education matter, plus we'll be
> rolling out a software update to make the product more better.  Nothing
> to see here.'
>
> An entirely different picture has been emerging, but first a review of
> what the 737 MAX is about.
>

> The original 737 was an only modestly successful short-to-medium-range
> jet from the middle 1960s (single-aisle, narrow body, six-across
> seating) that was almost cancelled several times.  It was due to be
> retired in the 2000s, and the usual process of a from-scratch
> replacement code-named Boeing Y1 was underway.  This was understandable
> since the 737 was only barely different from the 1950s B-707 design,
> which is why its low-slung design limited the size of the engines if
> they weren't to knuckle-drag on the ground, a point I'll return to.  But
> then in the late 2000s a crisis happened, called the Airbus A320neo.
>
> Jet fuel had kept getting more expensive, reaching a peak (so far) in
> 2008.  At two airshows in 2009 and 2010, Airbus Industries showed its
> and then (2) better engines with higher fuel efficiency (thus the name
> A320neo where 'neo' = new engine option), that shaved fuel another ~14%.
> This was a killer advantage in the market, so Boeing needed an immediate
> response.  They crafted one in a hurry by killing the Y1 program, and
> frankensteining new, high-efficiency LEAP-1B turbofan engines from CFM
> International, and, yes, winglets.  This rushed job, resulting in the
> 737 MAX series,  saved Boeing's sales to, in particular, Southwest and
> American Airlines.
>
> But some kludging was required, because the LEAP-1B was, well, bigger.
> So, it was mounted a bit forward and higher on the wing than its
> predecessor power plants, so that it didn't knuckle-drag.  And that in
> turn threw off the airframe's handling, because test flights showed it
> tended to go nose-up, risking stalls.
>
> So, the kludge need a kludge, which was the now-famous Maneuvering
> Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS).  Two little vane-like
> external sensors report 'angle of attack' (AoA), and, if software judges
> the AoA from _either_ sensor (can you say 'single point of failure'?) is
> too steep relative to airspeed, forces the plane's nose down -- with no
> notice to the pilots.
>
> Here's where the true narrative starts departing _greatly_ from what
> Boeing's been saying, because this is where the firm's sales and product
> strategy under current CEO Dennis Muilenburg becomes very relevant:
> Since taking charge in 2015, Muilenburg (a buddy of the
> Toddler-in-Chief, readers may recall) has implemented a strategy to
> further improve Boeing profitability in its workhorse commercial
> aviation lines.  He introduced top-to-bottom cost-cutting, _and_ he
> turned _options_ for the commercial jets into a highly lucrative profit
> [...]

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."