[conspire] Frankensteining a citrus

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Mon Aug 27 10:25:27 PDT 2018

To answer the most important question, although I see no symptoms of citrus greening, the quarantine rules only allow moving of citrus fruit with no leaves and no stems from one property to another.  In our case the move would even cross county lines.  The source of HLB in southern CA was traced to someone getting cuttings from China.   We should ask Fred what has happened to the citrus in Florida.  Not a pretty picture.  The CA agriculture authorities are doing what is needed to protect both industry and home growers.

Yes, serious botanists have greatly different opinions about the taxonomy of citrus.  The way all science works is that when a new idea is proposed, it will be vigorously challenged by the "existing" idea which had previously been well examined.
The traditional classification was based on similarities and differences in appearance.  For example, there exist many kinds called "lime" because they are green when ripe.

More recent DNA analysis claims that only a few million years ago there were 3 "groups" growing near the Himalayas:  citron, pummelo, and mandarin.  These all cross-bred in the wild.  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/02/explore-food-citrus-genetics/ For more than 1000 years, humans have deliberately created (or looked for) more hybrids.

Crosses with kumquats are also possible, but that accounts for only a few of the 1000's of known citrus varieties.

Dwarfing root stock:  Here is something I learned recently.  Although many trees are labeled as "dwarf", some trees are so happy that the grow large.  If you want a small peach, apple or lemon, the way to do that is to prune it to the size you want.  Some people keep them short because they don't like ladders.  This can require pruning several times per year.  But if a tree is already too big, don't cut back more than 1/3 in one year.   Don't think this is an issue with calamondin.