[conspire] Frankensteining a citrus

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 26 21:55:38 PDT 2018

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> I just realized that we might have a "name" confusion.
>
>  You have been talking about calamansi.
>
> I was reviewing the things I have growing.  One is a calamondin.  The
> description also says Kalamansi; Philippine lime.  I think this is the
> same thing.  http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/calamondin.html

Yes, kalamansi = calamansi = calamondin = Philippine lime.  On the one
hand, Wikipedia says it's not a true citrus (genus Citrus), but rather
originated as a cross-breed between a citrus (probably mandarin) and
kumquats, which are genus Fortunella.  _However_, reading further in
that article, it seems there's been a botanist knife-fight over
kumquats, such that they are proposed to be moved into genus Citrus.
{sigh}

I've just bought today one of the two dwarf calamansi trees at OSH in
Redwood City.  (There is also another still in stock, as of this
afternoon.)  Including sales tax, and net of the current
going-out-of-business discount, it cost just over $24, FYI.  The
tree superstructure currently stands about 20" above the pot's ground
level.  I haven't planted it yet, nor even seriously contemplated places
it might go.

I have to say, although I understand the logic of dwarfing trees that
otherwise would want to, y'know, take Manhattan, it seems to me this
practice interacts poorly with a drought-prone environment such as our
fine western state.  If I understand correctly, dwarfing is implemented
either by limiting the space for roots to expand into, or, more
commonly, by grafting the scion species onto the rootstock of a smaller
species that accordingly has a small rootball.  Small rootball means
less resilient in the case of water shortage, right?  Seems like a mixed
blessing.

_Anyway_, now I have two problems.  I have to decide where to plant the
new dwarf tree, for starters.  I _could_ just put it right alongside the
distressed citrus that used to be a calamansi.  But I'll look around for
where better.

And the second problem is what to do with the ex-calamansi rootstock
thing on the north (slightly shaded) side of the greenhouse, which
matter can be deferred until you're next around.

Do I correctly infer from your coverage of itrus greening disease aka
HLB that, upon reflection, you think it unwise to graft as scion at my
house budwood cuttings (such as the mandarins and pommelos) from your
trees?  I was unclear on your larger point, beyond saying that
California strongly regulates citris for good reason.

OSH discounts as they are throttled and killed by Lowe's are described
as '10-30%' at present, which of course means in practice 10% except for
one item in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused
lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.

(I never liked Lowe's.  All the disadvantages of the Home Depot big-box
model and none of the advantages.
https://www.businessinsider.com/lowes-is-feeling-the-effects-of-the-brick-and-mortar-meltdown-2018-8)