[conspire] Frankensteining a citrus (was: Risks of automation)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 27 02:43:14 PDT 2018

Quoting Fred Brockman (fbrock at att.net):

> I would say the odds are just about nil of the fruit of the
> rootstock being desirable.

Yeah, that makes sense.  But hey, no hurry about doing anything
particular with the existing plant, as you suggest.  Maybe I'll be lucky
and the existing scion will bounce back.  If not, healthy rootstock can
carry something then.

> https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-calamansi-21727.html recommends
> growing calamansi from seed. So your odds just went up. The
> rootstock could be something else but still could be viable fruiting
> calamansi.]

The rootstock is putting out enormous leaves, about four inches long, I
think.  FWIW, the scion had leaves about an inch long.

> Noted a tomato I planted in Modesto last year got through the winter
> in decent shape. When I was a kid all tomatoes were as dead as
> doornails by Thanksgiving. It's been a couple of years since I've
> seen frost here in FL.

Yeah, a year ago, I had a tomato sprout up right in the middle of a
crack in one of my concrete walkways, and it almost made it through the
winter, which was unexpected.  And just outside my living room, there's
a serrano pepper that _has_ overwintered through three cold seasons
because I experimentally cover it in a cheap-ass kludge-together
coldframe over its planter, constructed from junk sticks, plastic
sheeting, and a stapler to fasten everything together.

The serrano is fruiting _again_, fourth year in a row.  With the slow
warming, it's getting easier.

> Rootstocks, especially established older ones, are not real crazy
> about moving. If it gets decent sun where it's at I'd advise leaving
> it there. Save your site survey for your new additional plantings.

Agreed.  Thanks for the wise counsel.