[conspire] Wikipedia editing suckitude; the art of checklists

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 17 19:17:00 PDT 2017

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> BTW Rick, feel responsible for making me waste some more time to try
> again to replace fetchmail.

Oh, I get it:  You were reading the stuff about fetchmail's design and
security history on http://esr.1accesshost.com/ .  Well, I don't argue
with replacing fetchmail if you don't need its feature set, but you
might be interested in what I said to Jim Thompson when he started
quoting that an all the other stuff from that page.

http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2006-January/001733.html

Re-reading that reminds me that the long-ago consulting need I once
filled using fetchmail did indeed specifically use fetchmail's multidrop
mode.  If you have a use-case that needs it, less-complex MDAs are not
functionally equivalent.

If you _don't_ need that or any of fetchmail's other distinctive
features, then using a sparser solution is just basically IT best
practices, so (generically) I approve.

Anyway, above URL is part of the discussion where I debunked in front of
Jim Thompson a bunch of the claims on http://esr.1accesshost.com/ .
I misremembered that as being a discussion _on_ Conspire.  I see from
the archives that it was something I discussed with Jim in private mail
and then forwarded -to- Conspire, FWIW.