[conspire] Wikipedia editing suckitude; the art of checklists

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Apr 18 06:34:00 PDT 2017

On 04/18/2017 04:17 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):
>
>> BTW Rick, feel responsible for making me waste some more time to try
>> again to replace fetchmail.
>
> Oh, I get it:  You were reading the stuff about fetchmail's design and
> security history on http://esr.1accesshost.com/ .  Well, I don't argue
> with replacing fetchmail if you don't need its feature set, but you
> might be interested in what I said to Jim Thompson when he started
> quoting that an all the other stuff from that page.

> http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2006-January/001733.html

I've a holistic approach to software as a user and as a developer. While
this doesn't stop me from separating the person from his achievement it
doesn't mean that the only factor I consider when picking up a piece of
software is just it works now.

and oh boy I do come to compromises.

> If you _don't_ need that or any of fetchmail's other distinctive
> features, then using a sparser solution is just basically IT best
> practices, so (generically) I approve.

There are no really better candidate worth a change if I've to consider
all the things that regularly make me consider to evict fetchmail.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it http://www.borgonovo.net