[conspire] A sometimes scarily small community, is ours

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 8 16:31:04 PST 2006

I know I should probably just give this up, but there's one point I
wanted to highlight:

  ...they simply twisted the facts in order to get in a cheap shot.  If
   a reader gets fooled by this, then they've achieved their aim of
  slagging Eric.  If not, then the page's authors still get off scot
  free, be cause they're anonymous and therefore unaccountable.

Not that it helps a lot, but this syndrome seems to be an Internet
thing, rather than specifically a Linux thing:  Punks of all ages
deliberately hide their attempts at character assassination behind
"handles" and effectively anonymous webmail addresses.  This is not a
huge problem on forums where casual libel and juvenile personal slurs
are the norm (adequacy.org outposts such as Slashdot), but Wikipedia is
also badly affected, and LiveJournal even is so deep into it that
posting information that in any way identifies a poster is treated as a
"violation of privacy" and gets one thrown off.

And it's not just carefree, no-accountability libel, either.  It's also
copyright violation, and similar misbehaviour.  If hypothetically I
wanted to insist that a bunch of the existing mirrors of "How to Ask
Questions the Smart Way" update their 2001-era versions as required by
the very generous mirroring policy, I'd find that nearly impossible in
some cases, because of deliberately bogus contact information.  E.g.,
http://www.madchat.org/sysadm/unix.guide/smart-questions.html has no
maintainer links on the Web pages, the domain's whois information is
faked and routed through an anonymising remailer at gandi.net, and
they ignore inquiries.

If you want to know why our Hollywood overlords want DMCA-type takedown
mechanisms at their disposal in every jurisdiction, there's why.