[conspire] A sometimes scarily small community, is ours

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 5 13:21:39 PST 2006

Quoting Rick Moen (rick at linuxmafia.com):

> And when I write these guys, saying please update contents per the
> copying requirements (and/or don't alter the contents without
> permission) -- or take down your non-compliant mirror -- they give me
> _verbal abuse_, and two of them have already told me they'll listen
> only to Eric.
>
> Unbelievable!
>
> Which leads me to write e-mails like this, straining to be pleasant and
> reasonable (about, in this case, a 2001 mirror that the guy says is OK
> because it's not a "mirror", only an "archive copy" -- and asserts
> that republishing 100% of our piece is "fair use"):

[...]

And of course, no good deed goes unpunished:  Russ has closed the
incident out with -- of course! -- pointless personal attacks on me.
His mirror's entry in http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/smart-questions.copyright
therefore got five new lines, to close it out:

http://www.owlriver.com/tips/smart/
   Ancient version (2001).
   2006-01-04:  Asked site contact info at owlriver.com to remedy.
   2006-01-04:  Site owner R.P. (Russ) Herrold, herrold at owlriver.com wrote
   back, refused to comply unless Eric also requested.  He claims it's
   OK because it's not a "mirror", only an "archive copy", and asserts
   that thus republishing 100% of our piece is "fair use".  Advised
   Russ that he can either remove or come into compliance with copying
   policy, but not keep it as-is.  Telephoned Eric; he concurs with me.
   Eric said he'd reply to Russ's mail if I forwarded; unfortunately,
   Eric's MTA is refusing mail.  Turns out I know Russ; he's a nice guy,
   just confused about the situation.  To be nice, we're going to wait
   until Eric can chime in.
   2005-01-04:  Russ removed his outdated mirror, substituting selective
   pieces of his and my private correspondence (e.g., omitting where I had
   apologised for a couple of initial factual errors, and said it would
   be great if he'd just bring his copy up to date), plus adding his
   editorial comments.