[conspire] A sometimes scarily small community, is ours

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 4 23:44:44 PST 2006

I wrote:

> That included amending the copyright notice to reflect what seemed to
> me the reality of it being a joint work.  (As I'm sure you're aware,
> ever since adoption of the Berne Convention, copyright notices per se
> have no legal effect: I assume Eric's not adding my name to his copy's
> copyright notice was, also, entirely innocent.)

Dammit, I _knew_ this sort of stuff would bite me, sooner or later.
After the Jim Thompson incident, I got woken up to the existence of a lot
of rogue mirror copies of "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way" around
the Net.

By "rogue" I mean copies either with unauthorised alterations (including
removing the authors' names and copyright notice entirely, and many
others) or unaltered but severely out of date:  If you look at the
essay's master version at catb.org, it says mirrorable under a "copying
policy" (that I endorse) that has incredibly generous and enlightened
terms:

Mirroring _is_ permitted, explicitly -- provided you don't alter the
contents, and provided your copy is "dynamic" in the sense of keeping up
with revisions at catb.org.  ("Static", frozen-archive copies are not
permitted, because that results in outdated mirrors lurking around the
Internet.)

As an additional exception, translations into any language are
explicitly allowed, and don't have to track catb.org's changes --
provided they're date-stamped and include a hyperlink back to the
catb.org English-language original.  There are 15 translated copies,
with one more coming.

So, the terms are really generous, really easy to understand, and
impossible to miss -- just like the copyright statement at the top of
the essay.  But do people bother to comply?  Of course not!

I spotted literally hundreds of pasted copies of the essay into Web
forums, for starters -- including the copyright notice they were
violating, right up at the top.  Whee!  Let's just ignore copyright.

But then, there are also about a baker's dozen static mirror copies,
most of them still showing 2001 or 2002 contents, thus missing 2-3 years
of revisions.  (I've noted all copies' status, here:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/smart-questions.copyright )

And when I write these guys, saying please update contents per the
copying requirements (and/or don't alter the contents without
permission) -- or take down your non-compliant mirror -- they give me
_verbal abuse_, and two of them have already told me they'll listen
only to Eric.

Unbelievable!

Which leads me to write e-mails like this, straining to be pleasant and
reasonable (about, in this case, a 2001 mirror that the guy says is OK
because it's not a "mirror", only an "archive copy" -- and asserts
that republishing 100% of our piece is "fair use"):