[conspire] A sometimes scarily small community, is ours

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 1 21:15:00 PST 2006

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> Of course, this leads me to the one remaining and burning question from
> this whole ridiculous affair:  Just how did so many copies of this
> document escape into the wild without your name on them?

OK, here's the whole shebang (warning: long), for those who might
possibly care:

 Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:09:07 -0800
 From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
 To: Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com>
 Subject: Re: More on he Eric S. Raymond Rick-Moen-author-credit-remover-o-matic

Quoting Jim Thompson (jim at netgate.com):

> I think its a bit too early for legal threats.

Just to clarify, I intended no legal threat in this matter, and would
not anticipate making any.  I would like us to be all friends, here.
(We may have met, but I can't at this moment recall it.  My apologies if
I'm simply being forgetful.)

> It's done.

Thank you.

Honestly, it is not correct to say that I'm the _original_ author.  As
it happened, Eric and I found out, while chatting on entirely unrelated
matters, that we were each separately attempting to write the same
essay, so we combined forces to produce a joint one, instead.  It really
literally was a joint work.  We were each generating passages of text
on the subject and exchanging them via e-mail, with an eye to producing
something like the resulting essay.

Eric ended up taking the initial combined ASCII copy, organising it,
tagging it with DocBook XML markup, and posting at his site (first
tuxedo.org, later catb.org) the earlier and still canonical HTML copy.
Initially, he put only his name as author; I consider this an entirely
innocent omission, and I'm aware that some DocBook XML toolsets make it
a little difficult to kludge in things like multiple authors, as a
matter of mechanics.

You should please not discount the tremendous amount of work Eric put
into making the essay a coherent piece rather than just a patchwork of
the cranky-old-man observations we were sharing in e-mail:  Although
either of us probably could have done that plus the DocBook XML
production work, it _was_ Eric who did 100% of that part, and I for one
really appreciated it.[1]

After a couple of times getting some of my own rather distinctively
phrased passages[2] cited to me (as "Eric's"), on mailing lists and
newsgroups, I asked Eric to please correct the author attribution in the
posted copy -- so I would cease having that sort of freaky encounter in
public fora.  He did so, soon thereafter.  (I didn't even notice who was
mentioned on the copyright statement, at that time.)

I decided in 2003 to start maintaining a separate copy for a bunch of
purely functional reasons:  It's really rather difficult in practice to
continue to jointly maintain a two-author document, and it was simply
easiest to copy of our HTML version and start hacking it directly, to
scratch a few itches that had been bugging me because I'm a notorious
pedant.  ;->

That included amending the copyright notice to reflect what seemed to me
the reality of it being a joint work.[3]  (As I'm sure you're aware,
ever since adoption of the Berne Convention, copyright notices per se
have no legal effect: I assume Eric's not adding my name to his copy's
copyright notice was, also, entirely innocent.)

In a spirit of respect for Eric's work, I've taken great care not to
injure his interests with my separate draft.  For example, I've not
purported to authorise third-party copies, and certainly would not do
anything of the sort without consulting him.

I've been meaning to re-sync my newer edits with Eric's, but haven't had
the time to do so.  (Eric probably never noticed my second public
copy and its separate changelog before your mails.)  In part, I wanted
to take the time to stress to Eric, when I caught up, that I was _not_
aggreived by anything, which tends to take more time and interactiveness
than just a straight technical discussion.  Actually, I've been afraid
that someone would notice my terse changelog comments and overinterpret
them, so in that sense this whole matter is in a way my fault.

While I was lightly overhauling parts of the essay, I noticed a
more-fundamental problem:  After all that work, we'd produced an essay
that was so lengthy that probably most of its intended audience --
newcomers -- weren't heeding it.  It was immensely popular, but only in
the "preaching to the choir" sense that project _leaders_ and technical
people loved it.

I've been intending to write a parallel piece of about 1/8 that length,
aiming for a William Strunk grade of pithiness, but it's a much more
difficult task, and I've not yet made much headway.  But that's why I've
deferred work on the earlier essay.

I'm sorry if I sounded a little militant in my earlier mail, but I was
put offbalance (and, well, distressed) by your implication of ethics
violation by Eric, especially given that it was supposedly against me,
but... well... even in general.  Eric's in my experience one of the more
ethical people I know, and has consistently dealt with me in a
thoughtful and reasonable manner -- and to my knowledge with others,
too.  (I say that as a pretty harsh and cynical judge of character.)
People keep going out of their way to slag him, and it's really pretty
unfair.  He's one of the good guys.  Watching that sort of interpersonal
demolition derby is one reason why I have personally never take up
blogging:  It seems to have the effect of putting up a huge "kick me"
sign.

I wouldn't say that about Eric if I didn't believe it.  You're free to
hold a different opinion if you must, but I wanted to just take the
opportunity to say that, since the matter came up.

And thank you again for amending your blog page.

[1] At that time, practically all of the candidate DocBook XML toolchains
were both arguably immature and dependent on proprietary Sun Java
pieces.  I could have done DocBook SGML at that time, but might have had
difficulty doing DocBook XML given that I'd gone 100% open-source / free
software and was reluctant to make exceptions.

[2] I think it was in late 2001, and involved my passage that includes
"Odds are, you'll screw up a few times, on hacker community forums -- in
ways detailed in this article, or similar.  And you'll be told exactly
how you screwed up, possibly with colourful asides.  In public."  In
general, one way to distinguish my passages is that in general they're a
little more ascerbic.

Consulting my saved mail, I find that it was indeed Sept. 2001, and
things I said to Eric at the time included "By the way, I notice you
have a copyright notice on it listing your name.  If you consider it
most appropriate, I'll be glad to give you my copyright title, such as
it was."  Which might, _alone_, explain Eric never adding my name to the
copyright notice.  But we never actually did any transfer of title.

[3] As opposed to collective work, these being distinct models of
multiple authorship within copyright law.

--
Cheers,                   Now, it's time to hack the real world, and let other
Rick Moen                 people write Web sites about it.