[conspire] Wikipedia editing suckitude; the art of checklists

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 17 18:21:47 PDT 2017

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> BTW Rick, feel responsible for making me waste some more time to try
> again to replace fetchmail.

You're welcome, I think(?).

I've only once deployed fetchmail, a long time ago in a very peculiar
consulting situation that I can no longer fully recall.  For most
purpose, I tend to think of it as a bit odd and overfeature.  Because I
read my own mail right on my MTA box (via ssh and screen), I personally
don't need that or any other MDA -- so I'm sometimes a little fuzzy on
what's good in that category.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/mdas.html has a bunch covered, although I
haven't refreshed that page in quite a few years.

> Should we give up do science? Should we close wikipedia?
> Should we distrust wikipedia or science?

Compared to what?  ;->

To misquote Churchill, Wikipedia is the worst example of crowdsourced
encyclopaedia, except for all the others.

I love Wikipedia, and am glad it's there.  I just note, along the way,
that it has some tics and bad habits.  As do we all.