[conspire] Receiving larger files from non-linux users?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 10 13:40:05 PDT 2012

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:52:41PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > I was reminded of James Sundquist's query from Sept. 24
> > (http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2012-September/007256.html)
> > when I got this 'want to share' Dropbox thing.
>

> In truth, there has been nothing new since Slashdot but more
> obsfucation.

See, there I was, about to send a note to Josh saying 'Josh, thanks
again.  Deirdre and I look forward to seeing you at Fallen Leaf Lake...'
and go on to tactfully point out the Dropbox approach's baggage (w/link to
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2012-October/007290.html) --
and I realised there's just _no way_ to write that mail without, from
Josh's perspective (he being a fellow alumnus I haven't yet met),
seeming like a crank raising problems nobody else sees.

So, I'm going to just not say anything.

It's the same sort of problem as when outfits I know and care about
(Kepler's bookstore, Recreational Equipment Inc., Princeton Club of
Northern California, Menlo School, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Common Ground
Palo Alto) outsource their public communication to one of those firms
like Constant Contact that 'bug' all URLs in their e-mailed newsletters
to customers / supporters / alumni (make them uniquely specified with an
embedded hash that is sent only to you).

You _can_ write to them and say you don't like being spied on, and don't
appreciate them hiring some bunch of strangers to do so and forge their
sending domain -- but then you get the either stated or unstated 'Nobody
else sees a problem with this' treatment, and dismissed.