[conspire] Receiving larger files from non-linux users?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 10 12:52:41 PDT 2012

I was reminded of James Sundquist's query from Sept. 24
(http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2012-September/007256.html)
when I got this 'want to share' Dropbox thing.

Such invitations, albeit always very generously and benevolently
intended, are one of the current plagues on the Internet.  Where once
someone like Josh would just put files somewhere in webspace and send
you the URL, _or_ do the other usual thing and file-attach them to an
e-mail, now such people blithely expect you to:

1.  Install with root authority a bunch of proprietary software from
nobody-in-particular that (at minimum) hooks into your Web browser and
file-handling software, and

2.  Agree to a business contract with nobody-in-particular (Dropbox, Inc.)
whose terms of service specifically say that they'll be spamming you and
sending information about you to their business partners
(https://www.dropbox.com/privacy).

And if you point these things out to the generous soul who's just trying
to help you get files, you seem paranoid and ungrateful -- because
_they_ don't mind signing up for a commercial-albeit-zero-cash service
with some Web 2.0 business and installing opaque software they have no
reason to trust, so why would you?

(Fortunately, I already have those files via file-attachments to
Josh's e-mails.)

----- Forwarded message from Dropbox <no-reply at dropbox.com> -----