[conspire] Breezy chroot & debootstrap

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 8 18:50:04 PST 2006

Quoting John Andrews (jla1200 at netzero.net):

> jla at vstrom:~$ sudo debootstrap [--variant=buildd] [--arch i686]
> breezy /var/chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> E: No such script: breezy
> jla at vstrom:~$ sudo debootstrap [--variant=buildd] [--arch i686]
> breezy /var/chroot/
> E: No such script: breezy
> jla at vstrom:~$

(I'll assume you have a compelling reason for trying to set up a
mini-system in a chroot jail.  Not that there's anything wrong with
that.)

When the Web page cited debootstrap's syntax, it used square brackets
("[]") to indicate some elements' quality of being _optional_.  You
would not actually _type_ those square brackets:  They're metasyntax.
You may want to see:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backus-Naur_form
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Backus-Naur_form

Morever, you didn't specify the URL from which to grab the base
packages, which needed to be at the end of the command line.  (Well, not
technically.  There's a default value.)

Quoting the manpage:

  SYNOPSIS

  debootstrap [OPTION]... SUITE TARGET [MIRROR [SCRIPT]]

  DESCRIPTION

  debootstrap bootstraps a basic Debian system of SUITE into TARGET from
  MIRROR by running SCRIPT. MIRROR can be an http:// URL or a file:/ URL.

> http://wiki.ubuntu.comDebootstrapChroot?highlight=%28chroot%29.
> I ran into a problem doing the cookbook instructions.I really don't know
> entirerly what I am doing. Should i use [--variant=buildd]

That's for the special case of where you've decided you're going to
operate a Debian-style build daemon (buildd).  Again, the fact that the
option was in square brackets meant that it was, well, an option.  See;
http://www.debian.org/devel/buildd/setting-up

> I don't really build packages but i may make or compile some. Is
> [--arch i686] right for a Pentium iii.

Not in that context.  I'm pretty sure you'd set that to i386 -- but,
again, more than likely that's the default, already.

> Can you make software for a different os with this set up ie Windows
> 2000 or Mac os 9.1?

Not as such.  You can cross-compile for the same OS on a different CPU
architecture, though.