[conspire] Breezy chroot & debootstrap

John Andrews jla1200 at netzero.net
Sun Jan 8 17:40:40 PST 2006

Thjla at vstrom:~$ sudo apt-get install dchroot
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
  debootstrap
  dchroot
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 46 not upgraded.
Need to get 9628B of archives.
After unpacking 90.1kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com breezy/universe dchroot 0.11 [9628B]
Fetched 9628B in 4s (2240B/s)

Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package dchroot.
(Reading database ... 97214 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking dchroot (from .../archives/dchroot_0.11_i386.deb) ...
Setting up dchroot (0.11) ...
jla at vstrom:~$ sudo mkdir /var/chroot
jla at vstrom:~$ sudo vi /etc/dchroot.conf
jla at vstrom:~$ sudo debootstrap [--variant=buildd] [--arch i686]
breezy /var/chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
sudo: debootstrap: command not found
jla at vstrom:~$ apt-get install debootstrap
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission
denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
jla at vstrom:~$ sudo apt-get install debootstrap
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  debootstrap
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 46 not upgraded.
Need to get 46.8kB of archives.
After unpacking 242kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main debootstrap 0.3.1.6ubuntu1
[46.8kB]
Fetched 46.8kB in 15s (2978B/s)

Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package debootstrap.
(Reading database ... 97222 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking debootstrap (from .../debootstrap_0.3.1.6ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Setting up debootstrap (0.3.1.6ubuntu1) ...
jla at vstrom:~$ sudo debootstrap [--variant=buildd] [--arch i686]
breezy /var/chroot/ http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
E: No such script: breezy
jla at vstrom:~$ sudo debootstrap [--variant=buildd] [--arch i686]
breezy /var/chroot/
E: No such script: breezy
jla at vstrom:~$

Thanks for pointing me to the apt-get build-dep glibc things which I installed
on my machine.I've been looking at the Ubuntu-Developer section to learn
about the system of packages etc...
http://wiki.ubuntu.comDebootstrapChroot?highlight=%28chroot%29.
I ran into a problem doing the cookbook instructions.I really don't know
entirerly what I am doing. Should i use [--variant=buildd] I don't really
build packages but i may make or compile some. Is [--arch i686] right for a
Pentium iii. Can you make software for a different os with this set up ie
Windows 2000 or Mac os 9.1? Thanks for any help.