[conspire] Breezy chroot & debootstrap

John Andrews jla1200 at netzero.net
Sun Jan 8 18:06:04 PST 2006

DebootstrapChroot

This article shows you how to use [WWW] debootstrap to build a chroot
environment that you can use for various needs, from trying out the latest
(or even oldest ;) Ubuntu releases, or even working with [WWW] Debian
releases, to utilizing the chroot as a package building environment.

You can work anywhere - this Howto will assume you're using /var/chroot . It
will also assume that you want to install a BreezyBadger chroot; if you are
going to use other Ubuntu releases, replace breezy below with warty for
WartyWarthog, hoary for HoaryHedgehog, or dapper for DapperDrake.
Getting and installing debootstrap

For the least pain and gnashing of teeth, please get the Ubuntu binary
packages manually:

    *

      [WWW] http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/admin/debootstrap - If you are
running warty and want a hoary chroot
    *

      [WWW]
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_0.3.1.4ubuntu4_all.deb
- If you are running hoary and want a breezy chroot
    *

      [WWW]
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_0.3.3.0ubuntu1_all.deb
- If you are running breezy and want a dapper chroot

Example: Terminal session wget-ing and installing the latest Dapper
debootstrap:

 wget
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_0.3.3.0ubuntu1_all.deb
 sudo dpkg --install debootstrap_0.3.3.0ubuntu1_all.deb

This goes with my last question. The 3 lines above are for getting the dapper
debootstrap. I skipped doing this because i thought if i was using Breezy i
could do it with apt-get debootstrap.Is this where the script comes from? The
error mentioned some script wasn't available.I am running Breezy and want a
Breezy debootstrap. What would the http;//archive be? What is wget-ing?

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_0.3.3.0ubuntu1_all.deb
 sudo dpkg --install debootstrap_0.3.3.0ubuntu1_all.deb

On a different subject where do you find the inbox/outbox/drafts/etc on the
Kontact mail program?