[conspire] Breezy chroot & debootstrap

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 8 20:33:26 PST 2006

Quoting John Andrews (jla1200 at netzero.net):

> This goes with my last question. The 3 lines above are for getting the dapper
> debootstrap. I skipped doing this because i thought if i was using Breezy i
> could do it with apt-get debootstrap.Is this where the script comes from? The
> error mentioned some script wasn't available.I am running Breezy and want a
> Breezy debootstrap.

Again, we'll assume you have some specific reason to want to do a system
installation into a chroot environment using debootstrap.  (debootstrap
is essentially the core of an OS installer.)  I mention this because
it's very common for people new to Linux to overdefine the problems
while seeking help and information.

That is, you might be seeking to perform that task based on some
mistaken assumptions abotu what it's needed for -- but Linux community
people have a sometimes unfortunate tendency to answer questions as
posed with merciless precision, all the while wondering (e.g.) "I wonder
why the heck he's running debootstrap?

In the name of compassion, I try to split the difference and mention
when something a new user is trying to do is anomalous:  It's a polite
way of suggesting that you might be barking up a wrong tree.

You should be able to get breezy's "debootstrap" package directly from
the breezy package tools.  Therefore, your question is more than a
little confusing.  Did you try just plain old "sudo apt-get install
debootstrap"?  When you did, what precisely happened?  You don't say,
leaving us at sea.

> What would the http;//archive be?

Um, with a properly configured package-access system, you should not
have to think about that, if you don't want to.  But if I really wanted
to know, I'd look first at the /var/lib/apt/lists/*Packages files, which
include a remote path for each package listed.

> What is wget-ing?

/usr/bin/wget is a command-line tool for fetching remote files by URL,
over HTTP or FTP.

(By the way, you got lucky with someone noticing your questions at the
bottom of your long quotation of an entire Web page.  You might want to
rethink that.  ;->  )