[sf-lug] 200+ emails (not) from test list.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 31 21:05:54 PDT 2023

I wrote:

> You did _not_ receive "200+ emails from test list".  [...]
> But no, _zero_ of those were from the Test mailing list itself, which
> like other mailing lists on my Mailman instance I diligently keep
> spam-free.

In fact, Bobbie, would you do me a solid, going forward, please?

_Before_ complaining in public that you've received a bunch of spam from
any of my mailing lists, please double-check its HTML archive, and make
_sure_ you actually got that spam from the mailing list.

In this case, you didn't.  It was bot-generated unsubscribe-confirmation
notices from Mailman's command interface.

I go to some pains to run a reputable mail operation, and the only way
spammers have found to send mail to the subscribers _via_ any of my
mailing lists, in the 26 years I've operated them, is to first join as a
subscriber.  It takes an extremely bold spammer to try that, because it
means I can track them down, and, believe me, I come down like the wrath
of God on any who've tried (and there've been dammed few).  Moreover,
I cut off immediately the vanishingly rare spammer who does that.

If you feel moved to apologise for (erroneously) maligning my operation
in public, I'd be glad to see it.  But, whether you do or not,
_please at least check the archives_ before making such a public claim.

Or, you know, you could check with me directly _before_ making public
accusations of my operating a spamhaus.  It's not like I'm difficult to
reach.