[sf-lug] 200+ emails from test list.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 31 20:05:05 PDT 2023

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> 	I don't know what sparked the episode but I recieved more than 200
> emails in the last 24 hours as someone tried to change my
> subscription to the test at linuxmafia.com.

One additional point:

Subject header's claim is very, very mistaken.

You did _not_ receive "200+ emails from test list".  A cursory look at
linuxmafia.com/pipermail/test will reveal that there has been _zero_
traffic on the test at linuxmafia.com mailing list since April 2020, its
latest posting being a test posting from you on April 24, 2020.

I infer that you received 200+ e-mails from
test-confirm+[$HASH]@linuxmafia.com .  Each of those was stimulated by a
malicious bot, pretending as if it were you, probably frobbing
Mailman's Web CGI interface that exists for subscriber commands.   Spam.

But no, _zero_ of those were from the Test mailing list itself, which
like other mailing lists on my Mailman instance I diligently keep
spam-free.