[sf-lug] Notes and lately at Distrowatch

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Dec 5 23:46:25 PST 2022

Hi LUGers,

	Well Ron from BCLUG logged in first and was
still not there when I signed in at 10:45 but came
along a few minutes later.
	At 11 AM Ken S came along.
	A few minutes later Victor showed up and Aaron.
	About half way thru the meeting I checked for
email and John S. was asking where we were so I replied
and he joined us after 1230 briefly

	Ken has been using the Windows Subsystem for Linux
lately setting it up to demo to a Windows user who wants
to use Linux but still needs Windows.  It has been
improved lately in regards to graphics as well.

	The attachment is a text conversion of Aaron's
meeting notes and problems.

	Now after Ken's discussion of the WSL Victor
began to ask questions about the proper use of grep
and regrex. Victor is trying to learn Linux but of
course he finds the options and switches difficult
Ken was very helpful and pulled up pages that addressed
the topic.
         I belive Ron of BCLUG joined that discussion
but am unsure on that point.

	When John came along he states that he had
tried a variant spelling and when he correct the URL
had gotten to us without problems.  He shared the
Web site he had used when he ran for a elective
position in his city.

	Ken left before 1230 as is usual.
Shortly after Ken left John S showed up.

Victor left early as well and when I left both
Aaron and Ron were there but running blank screens

	At 1:05 PM I left but unfortunately I had
a lot to do in the kitchen and it wore me out
so that I weoke uip today stiff and sore and
spent most of the day in bed.

	Which is why I am getting this out
so late at night.  Any further notes one the
the defiency my reporting should detail my
error of fact and omissions.

	==================================
	    Lately at Distowatch.com
	==================================

2022-12-04 	NEW • OS Release: OpenIndiana 2022.10
   	OpenIndiana is a continuation of the OpenSolaris operating system.
The project's latest version is OpenIndiana 2022.10. The new release
features a number of package changes, including upgrades to Perl and
Python. The Release announcement details the changes/
<https://www.openindiana.org/2022/12/04/openindiana-hipster-2022-10-is-here/>

	==================================

2022-12-04 	NEW • Distribution Release: Gnoppix Linux 22.12
   	Andreas Mueller has announced the release of Gnoppix Linux 22.12,
the latest stable build from a project that develops a Debian and Kali
Linux-based distribution with GNOME as the default desktop. This is a
"new generation" of the old Knoppix-based Gnoppix that was discontinued
in 2006. The new Gnoppix also ships with some penetration-testing and
reverse-engineering tools. Read the release announcement
at
<https://sourceforge.net/p/gnoppixng/releases/general/thread/bc187de53a/>
   This uses systemd and is rather large;

	==================================

2022-12-04 	NEW • Distribution Release: 4MLinux 41.0
   	The independent 4MLinux distribution has published a new
stable release. The new version, 4MLinux 41.0, offers a number of
updates and new hardware support. A few new applications have been
added to the distribution. It has 3 64 bit versions, desktop,
server, and core. The two larger versions are still under 1300 MB
and the core version is 13 MB. Still does not use systemd.
Release notes at the following URL
<https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.com/2022/12/4mlinux-410-stable-released.html>

	==================================

	Don't forget to celebrate the Feast of St. Nicolas
tonight and tomorrow a nondemonational Spirit of Generosity..
	Happy Holidays of your choice!
Best wishes for a Happy and Prosperous New Year in 2023.
	Oh by the way the next Virtual meeting of the SF-LUG
is on Sunday January 1, 2023 at
	Please take good care of your health as at least 3
viruses are surging and filling up the hospitals.
	If people have trouble reading the attachment I will
be happy to forward in the body of an email ot the list...

	See you next year unless we get lucky.

	Bobbie Sellers
We like a man to come right out and say what he thinks -
if we agree with him. (Mark Twain)