[sf-lug] BALUG: meeting: Tu 2022-09-20: Discussion: mail, SMTP, and other things Linux; and other BALUG items

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 23 18:46:36 PDT 2022

Dang ... I dialed in - phone - from a moderate bit (about 10 minutes or
so) after 6pm, and was on there 'till about 8pm.
I said "hello" on there several times, but I never heard the audio sound
of anyone else connecting, or any other sound
on the call at all.  :-(
I would've switched to web if I heard folk(s) on the call (or at least
especially if we had anything visual to share).

Sounds like there was a Jitsi Meet issue?  Sometimes they have "split
brain", where same URL, folks can end up
grouped in two different sets(!).  Audio and video splits ... but text
chat seems to not get split (from both what I'd
read on-line in their support forums about the issue, and I believe also
when we've checked - seems to have sometimes
happened with SF-LUG meetings).
And ... you were on the BALUG Jitsi meeting
https://meet.jit.si/BALUG.org
and not, e.g. SF-LUG's, correct?
Were you all able to hear (and on web see) each other on the Jitsi
meeting?
Sorry we missed you - there were three of present in-person at the
physical venue (alas, temporarily relocated
that evening
https://lists.balug.org/pipermail/balug-announce/2022-September/000325.html
(I'd emailed that out, and also taped note on entrance door of our
regular venue)
due to an unanticipated issue at our regular physical venue).

Anyway, I'll try to remember next time to do a cross-check (with other
device or call) - see if they can at least
hear each other (that's not 100% guarantee against "split brain", but
does help check and ensure that things at
least appear to be functioning).
There's BerkeleyLUG this Sunday
https://berkeleylug.com/meetings/
I'll try to remember to also cross-check there.