[sf-lug] Notes and some news from the Meeting of SF-LUG Sunday 4 September 2022

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Tue Sep 6 01:11:36 PDT 2022

Bobbie Sellers wrote on 2022-09-05 15:25:

>     Victor was busy trying to get a better understanding of Linux.
>     from Chat:Victor says:book says basic syntax structure for dd
> utility is as follows:
>      dd if=INPUT_DEVICE of=OUTPUT-DEVICE [OPERANDS]

This one was merely an indication that the order of the parameters is
not significant.

What I learned from the exchange was that "dd" command has a "nofollow"
parameter, instructing "dd" to "do not follow symlinks".

I never considered what I thought of as a disk duplication tool having
an awareness of symlinks.

Upon further consideration though, dd is most often used to copy from an
ISO *file* to a disk (or vice versa (sp?)), so shouldn't be surprising!

It's a good day when something new is learnt.

rb