[sf-lug] Notes and some news from the Meeting of SF-LUG Sunday 4 September 2022

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Sep 5 15:25:32 PDT 2022

Hi LUGers
    Hope all of you are surviving the heat wave on this
long Labor Day Weekend.  It was 93 F in downtown San Francisco
before 2 PM but seems to have fallen to 91

         Attendees included myself, Bobbie Sellers,
         Michael P.,
         Ken S.,
         Victor from the South Bay Area,
         Robert who has not been around in a while,
         Ron from BC,
     and Aaron C.

         Now Michael could hear me when I logged on about 10:58
         But after that I was reduced to using the Chat at one
  side of the Jit.si screen.  I changed settings, rebooted but
nothing I  could do helped restore my microphone.
         Michael did his usual work at some points in the meeting
and when I left about 1309 he and Ron from BC were still in
discussion of the problems he was having with his local User
Group and Jit.si.
    Victor was busy trying to get a better understanding of Linux.
    from Chat:Victor says:book says basic syntax structure for dd
utility is as follows:
     dd if=INPUT_DEVICE of=OUTPUT-DEVICE [OPERANDS]

     QUIZ QUESTION:
You need to create a low-level backup of all the data on the /dev/sdc
drive and want to use the /dev/sde drive to store on.
Which dd command should you use?

BOOK ANSWER:
dd of=/dev/sde if=/dev/sdc   which Victor sez: seems wrong to me.
aaronco36(Aaron) says:seems they're trying to trick you be reversing dd
if= with dd of=
aaronco36(Aaron) says:i.e., reversing 'dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sde
bs=<whatever>'
with 'dd of=/dev/sde if=/dev/sdc bs=<whatever>

         Robert was working on as older machine without the capability
     of booting from the USB.  I tried to inform him about PLOP which is
     a distro with the exclusive function of booting from a CD or Floppy
     disk which enables older machines to boot from USB.  i was informed
     of this a few years back by Aaron.

         Ken left shortly after 12 Noon and Robert was gone a
few minutes  later.  He had been an active participant in
the discussion.
         Aaron had Video for a change and I am not sure what he was
telling us about but he had found a good book about Linux which
he bought from Amazon.  He showed the cover on his Video several
times.
         This was a good and lively meeting and I wish my microphone
had been  working.
         I asked "Where can a microphone be blocked?"  but got no
clear answer.
         One of the topic discussed was meeting in person again.
I can manage  one more meeting in person I think to pass on some
Stuff to a new  meeting host or hosts.  At the meeting we had
last year at the Cafe Enchante  our discussion was interrupted
by a acappela singer who was very loud.
      So I think we need to find another place to meet with good
Internet  service connections and no performance art during our
meeting if we  are going to resume in person meeting and via Jit.si.

         Ok so I was pretty tired by 1:09 PM and very hungry so I
signed out then and took care of my needs.

     Now I raised two minor news items and will reproduce the full
items here as I think 1) they are valuable for people who are fearful
that Microsoft and the Pluton chip are insurmountable obstacles and
two the Return of Ubuntu with Unity.

  ==================================

	Booting Linux On A Modern AMD Ryzen 6000 Series Laptop/ ThinkPad X13
Gen3 Written by Michael Larabel in Computers on 15 July 2022.

	Earlier this week Linux security researcher Matthew Garrett shared that
Lenovo's newer AMD Rembrandt laptops with Microsoft's
Pluton security co-processor would not boot Linux by default.
The issue stems from the third-party UEFI certificate not being
enabled by default and it turns out is something Microsoft is
seemingly now enforcing.
  Fortunately, I had a Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen3 with Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U
on the way  and so was now able to test this experience under Linux.

If you plan on using this high level of processor you should read the
rest of the article
at <https://www.phoronix.com/review/rembrandt-linux-boot>
spoiler: he succeeded.  Read the article to see how he did it.

==================================

KDE Plasma 5.26 Sees More Features & Fixes Ahead Of Beta
Written by Michael Larabel in KDE on 3 September 2022 at 05:28 AM EDT.

There is a lot of last minute feature work and improvements heading into
Plasma 5.26 ahead of its upcoming beta and feature freeze.

The Plasma 5.26 Beta is now less than two weeks out with it being scheduled
  for 15 September while the Plasma 5.26.0 stable release is expected on
  11 October....  for the rest of the story go to the following URL.
  <https://www.phoronix.com/news/KDE-Plasma-5.26-Ahead-Of-Beta>

   ==================================

         Ubuntu Unity 22.10 planned

It is planned to release an Ubuntu Unity 22.10 edition that
would come with the Unity desktop by default. Unity is a
development by Canonical had been the default desktop
environment until 17.10. A group of people continued
the development.  Unity is very controversial, some people
like it, other hate it.
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUnity/22.10/Proposal> for more information.

<https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-unity-as-an-official-flavor-technical-board-meeting/30298>

  ==================================

             Lately at Distrowatch:
          ********************

2022-08-29 	NEW • Distribution Release: MX Linux 21.2
  	MX Linux 21.2 is out. The latest update of the number one
distribution in our page
hit ranking statistics continues to be based on Debian 11 and its 5.10
Linux kernel, but
  the AHS variant of the Xfce edition now comes with the Linux kernel 5.18.
	It also has two 32 bit versions one with Fluxbox and another with the
Xfce Desktops
	 To get them you have to go to
<https://mxlinux.org/blog/mx-21-2-wildflower-released/>

  ==================================

Then this came along as well:
2022-08-29 NEW • Distribution Release: GeckoLinux 154.220822.0, 999.220820.0
         The GeckoLinux project maintains an openSUSE-based
distribution which offers multiple desktop editions. The project
has published new media for both the project's Static (Leap-based)
branch and its Rolling (Tumbleweed-based) branch.

  ==================================

2022-09-01 	NEW • Distribution Release: Ubuntu 20.04.5
	Canonical has announced a point release for Ubuntu 20.04
and its community editions. The new release, 20.04.5, offers
updated hardware support along with security fixes since the
original 20.04 release.

  ==================================

2022-09-01 	Distribution Release: Linux From Scratch 11.2
       	Bruce Dubbs has announced the release of version
11.2 of Linux From Scratch, a project that provides a free book
containing step-by-step instructions to build a custom Linux
system from scratch. A separate book called "Beyond Linux From
Scratch", which provides a broad range of instructions for
installing and configuring various packages on top of a
base LFS system, is also available in version 11.2

  ==================================

2022-09-05 	NEW • Distribution Release: Salix 15.0
  	Salix is a Slackware-based Linux distribution that
is simple, fast, easy to useand compatible with Slackware
Linux. The distribution has published Salix 15.0 which
includes the Xfce 4.16 desktop, much larger package repositories,
and Flatpak support.

          ==================================

         A pre-release copy of Deepin is reviewed in this
weeks issue of Distrowatch's Newsletter and it uses a new
package format.
	Ok so that is all I have today.

     The next meeting will be on October 2, 2022 via jit.si
unless you guys come up with a new in person venue.

     Bobbie Sellers
aka
bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of PCLinuxOS
        the Perfect Computer Linus Operating System(for me),
               and a minor case of hypergraphia.
		Linux 5.19.6
	  Free Registration at very finest sort of forum.
	   <https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php>