[sf-lug] more at Distrowatch.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 30 15:00:19 PDT 2022

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

>     Review: Qubes OS 4.1.1 and Alchg Linux
> 	Qubes disappoints by the iso file being uninstallable.

Translation:  Jesse Smith had a mysterious problem of "installer refused
to continue" after kernel module selection, and he never managed to
achieve (or, to all appearances, even attempt) root-cause analysis.

Obvious guess:  Mr. Smith didn't have a driver loaded for a critical
piece of hardware, and possibly the Qubes OS installation kernel didn't
have that driver.  I don't love the Anaconda installer program (in
Fedora, etc.), either, but among the -several- suspicious clues in the
review is his bit about 'just how bad the notorious Anaconda installer
is".  As mentioned, I don't love it, but it works well enough, and is
"notorious" only in Mr. Smith's pointy little head.

Another giveaway is that Mr. Smith nowhere mentions having checked the
other virtual consoles for diagnostics, strongly suggesting that he
didn't think to do so.  (And yes, if you're new to installing *ixes on
computers, you might never think to do that -- but the point is, this
wsa a featured article for DistroWatch, and either he or editor Ladislav
Bodnar ought to have caught that.

Qubes OS has somewhat limited hardware support for initial installation.
That's why they have pages specifially documenting that.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/system-requirements/   It may be that Mr.
Smith got bitten by that, and, rather ignominiously, failed to
understand what happened at all.  (Or, something else; he doesn't
provide enough detail to say.)

What I do _not_ believe is the suggestion (e.g., above) that the ISO is
"uninstallable".  I mean, c'mon, release distro ISOs get
test-installed, prior to official release.