[sf-lug] MS puts new restrictions on hardware...

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Jul 12 10:42:55 PDT 2022

               New Hardware on your to Buy List?

  This is a warning about MS demanding Secure Core measures
  implemented on new hardware from its selected brands.

<https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/?td=rt-3a>

and this which has a bit of information about certificates.

<https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/60248.html>

So the secured core means that these machines will run only Windows.
So far no way around this has been found.

So if you want really new hardware you can find companies that produce
only Linux products and they cost a bit more than the generic Windows
machines that were adequate to our tasks in the past or you can buy
used machines without Secured Core.  Or you can build your own machine
or have it built for you.

 From the original article:
Quoting:

     Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier
     than it should be
     What the powers that be have disabled in the BIOS, you must enable
once more
     Richard Speed Mon 11 Jul 2022 // 15:30 UTC

     Lenovo's laptops caused a disturbance last week after a security
engineer found himself unable to boot up a copy of Linux due to
restrictions that are apparently insisted upon by Microsoft.

I hate Microsoft a lot after hearing about this.  But I have been
negative about them since my earliest encounter with the Mighty
Slippery Devil's Operating System (delivered from the Gates of Hell).

  And Lennart Poettering has moved to Microsoft from Red Hat.

	Bobbie Sellers