[sf-lug] problem with Grub

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Jan 17 18:32:04 PST 2022

Ken Shaffer writes:
> On my UEFI install, I just have the background image, splash.png,  in
> /boot/grub.  The below is the standard grub.cfg that seems to get
> generated from 05_debian:
> if background_image /boot/grub/splash.png; then
>   true
> else
>   set menu_color_normal=white/black
>   set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
> fi
>
> No special packages needed, but I think at some point, the image name
> flexibility was lost ant the name had to be splash.png

Thanks! Both to you and Ronald. I needed a little more than that,
but I finally got it working. It turned out

- it didn't need to be named splash.png, but
- it DID need to be png (even though jpg is supposed to work, it
  didn't work for me)
- I needed to "insmod png" first (the module for jpg images in
  /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi is called jpeg.mod, not jpg.mod, but
  neither insmod jpeg nor insmod jpg worked for me)

I wrote up the details:
https://shallowsky.com/blog/linux/grub-splashimage.html

Tomorrow morning's boot will be a lot brighter. :-)

        ...Akkana