[sf-lug] problem with Grub

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Wed Jan 12 17:54:49 PST 2022

Akkana Peck wrote on 2022-01-12 4:48 p.m.:

> Speaking of grub problems: has anybody managed to get a custom
> background image working in grub on UEFI? I've tried everything I
> can think of, read all the docs I can find, tried installing the
> grub-splashimages packge, but nothing has worked, and none of the
> docs addresses details like, if you put a background_image entry
> in a grub config, what filesystem is that relative to, so where
> should you put the image on the running system so that grub will
> see it at the next boot? Background images used to work on MBR
> systems.

I have a splash screen working in grub.

The image is in the /boot/grub/themes/myTheme folder:

 > desktop-image: "background.png"

Similar to entries like these:

 > terminal-box: "terminal_*.png"

I have package "grub-theme-breeze" installed, then customized that.

Now for a confession: I'm not even sure if I'm on a UEFI system.

There's an 8MB /dev/sda1, however when I mount it the only thing I see
is "/lost+found", so I suspect I'm using MBR.

rb