[sf-lug] alternatives to google bookmarks

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 16 15:55:12 PDT 2021

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> Google is shutting down its google bookmarks service. Anyone have thoughts
> as to alternatives?

I go old-school.  (As someone who lives on Altschul Ave.[1], that seems
appropriate.)

All the way back to Netscape Navigator, browser bookmarks were stored in
local file bookmarks.html (and still are, in all Firefox-family browsers,
IIRC).  Long ago, I just scp'd that file right up to my Web server,
serve it to the world from there, and occasionally update it in-place
using a text editor.

So, I don't need a "service":  Dirt-simple is way better.  Works for Me[tm].

[1] Local historians say that was the name of an early immigrant family
that settled a farm up in present-day Woodside.  Our street in West
Menlo is named for them.