[sf-lug] LUG meeting of September 5, 2021

tom r lopes tomrlopes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 01:30:27 PDT 2021

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 12:26 PM Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
wrote:

> Hi LUGers,
>

>      Tom though did a show and tell with his miniature server.
> The bright red color is quite eye-catching.  So are the dual
> Ethernet ports and the internals sounded quite nice but I
> am not sure of my data in that regard and Tom can tell us
> about it.  It looks smaller than the Mac Mini and the Intel NUC
> and uses ARM 64 I believe.

 It is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098B4W716

Yes it is ARM 64.  It is actually a Pi 4 computer module on a carrier
board.

Photos <https://photos.app.goo.gl/MxdpeLf1EEu5U93Z8>

The Compute Modules (CM) come in various configurations.
! to 4 GB ram, WIFI or not, built in flash (emmc) storage.
But no peripherals.  Except for what is exposed on the connector.
The Pi 4 CM has PCI-E on the connector which allows you to have
a lot more possibilities on the carrier board.

On this little server board we have mini pcie for possible 4G LTE modem
and also an M.2 for very fast NVME SSD drive.  (and an extra ethernet port)

Other people have made carrier boards with multiple SATA ports.  So with
that you could make a Pi based NAS.

Thomas
I have two of them, 1GB and 4GB ram.