[sf-lug] Notes on the SF-LUG meeting of August 1, 2021

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 7 03:01:34 PDT 2021

> From: "Bobbie Sellers" <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] Notes on the SF-LUG meeting of August 1, 2021
> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 12:02:34 -0700

> alcove where we used to see  two or three PC connected to land
> lines.  The PCs
> have been removed and the ethernet connectors are still in the wall.

Probably not land lines / POTS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_old_telephone_service
such would generally be RJ11, RJ14, or RJ25,
6P and respectively 2C, 4C, or 6C
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack
More likely Ethernet and RJ45 8P8C
though 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX require only two pairs,
1000BASE-T requires all four pairs.
There's a significant difference in connectors, notably 6P vs. 8P
and they're not physically compatible with each other and won't even
physically fit each others plugs/jacks.

>     Bobbie Sellers -  How do they get the hurricanes to arrive in
> alphabetical order?...

Why of course once per year for each hurricane season, they must use:
sort -fu
to get all the hurricanes to arrive in the proper order.  :-)