[sf-lug] Notes on the SF-LUG meeting of August 1, 2021

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Aug 4 12:02:34 PDT 2021

Hi LUGers,

     Sorry I could not get this out earlier but the exertion was too
much for me.
     I had to rest all day Monday and should have rested yesterday but
food called me...

     So I got to the meeting place at Cafe Enchante and setup at the
table in the
alcove where we used to see  two or three PC connected to land lines.
The PCs
have been removed and the ethernet connectors are still in the wall.
     I got my tablet with the digital copies of the Linux Pro magazine
for the last
year or so set up.  I setup my newer Dell Latitude E7450 and was ready to go
but before I could finish that John S showed up and settled in.

     Tom showed up next.
     We got online to Jitsi and Ken was there already.  Then Dwayne from
San Crux
vicinity logged on as well.  Finally Aaron C came online.

     John downloaded and booted up Linux Mint 20.2 in Cinnamon and it looked
very nice on his Dell E6420.  At least I think that was what he was using.

     The alcove has a music speaker in it high in one corner and the
background
was not conducive to discussion.

     John and Tom took off early.  The noise level I think was discouraging.
     I left at  1231 because a live singer started singing religious
songs at a very high
volume in Latin I believe.

     Personally I don't know if I can do this again.  I don't think that
Cafe Enchante will
work for meetings on Sunday between 11 AM and 1 PM.  At least not until
the Pandemic
is fully resolved.
     Covid-19 Delta variant is bad and has provoked the return of indoor
masking.
     In case you had missed the constant flood of repetitive information
about Delta
fully vaccinated people can be infected and infect other people because
they may
have no symptoms but a very high viral load in their noses and throats.
     Remember how easy it is to spread chicken pox?  Delta variant is
just as infectious.

     I am not happy suggesting that we return to our jit.si meeting
exclusively but that
is what I am doing.

     The next meeting wll be on September 5th from 11 am-1 pm.   If the
Covid precautions
lighten maybe we can have an in-person meeting.  If we have to be masked
then I think
that we should go back to video meetings.

     If I missed anything interesting the people who showed by video or
in person up can
let us know.

     Oh yes I added the latest versions of GPartEd to the Library as well as
All the updates to the version of PCLinuxOS 64,  latest is 2021.08.
     4MLinux-37.0-64bit
     haiku-r1beta3-x86_64-anyboot.iso
     linuxmint-20.2-xfce-64bit.iso
     I have the latest Linux Pro digital version and if you love paper
you can get a
recent issue at the Fog City News along with expensive chocolate to
soothe the
chocolate hunger of a significant other or spouse.

     Bobbie Sellers -  How do they get the hurricanes to arrive in
alphabetical order?...