[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meeting Notes for Sunday July 4th, 2021, preview of Linux Pro #249

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Jul 4 15:21:12 PDT 2021

Hi LUGers,

     Well we had a small but fairly good Meeting, both
Virtually and in Person with Tom Lopes at Cafe Enchante.

     Tom was alone at Cafe Enchante aside from other
guests.
     I woke up ready to go back to sleep and got some
extra time in before the meeting and after my breakfast.
Some issues with my video camera lead me to reboot.
Later I would try to use my discrete video camera on
the workhorse 6540.   But the camera came up on
the 7450 after the reboot and it is easier for me to
work there during meetings

     While I was fussing with the camera Michael Paoli
had started working on a couple of different web sites.

     John S. has his surplus computer listed on the
Bay-Lug site I believe and among other other Michael P.
things added some Dell URL to let people have
easy access to information to add decision making.

     Ken S. was there when I got the camera functioning
and I resolved one set of aucio problems. Ken relates
that he recently tried Rocky Linux the vaunted CentOS
replacement but without a gui.  He intends to load
a Desktop environment.  Maybe he will be
kind enough to give us a assessment of the
Rocky Linux shortly.  He took off about 12:30.

     A bit before 11:30  AM  Tom Lopes signed
into the meeting from the luxurious Cafe Enchante.
He was able to maintain a good connection until
we decided to leave at nearly the same time.

     Tom and I discussed briefly POP!_OS which hides its
checksums in the Install Instructions.
I would be careful to read the instructions and copy
the checksum to a file if I was at all interested in
using a Ubuntu with additions to the Gnome desktop.
The changes are supposed to improve performance
and usability but it looks like more of the hide
functionality from the users bit to me.
     Well I don't know if Tom downloaded it thru the
Distrowatch site or not?  Tom if did something with
  POP!_OS please let us kow.
     For those who are unaware POP!_OS was created
for and by System 76 a company that sells a wide line
of Linux Computers.

     Tom also was kind enough to ask me about PCLinux
and to differiate between the titled 2021.06 iso files.
     Darkstar is the smallestbut still has everything the
average user needs but with KDE's Plasma 5 in a Dark
theme.
     pcinuxOS64-kde5-2021.06 has a few more items
than Darkstar but with a lighter choice is background.
     pclinuxos64-kde5-magnum-2021.06 has packages
I had never heard of before when I started using the
system.  Nearly every possible interest is catered
to in the Magnum edition.
     What you do not have can usually be found via Synaptic
  which can be tuned to give you the latest kernel.  If you need
a specific program to run then ask in the PCLinux Forum
where we have a Software request center where you can ask
the creator of the iso files for new software to be added to
the repository.
<https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php> is the home
page for the Forum and if you go there you can look around
and from there you can click on [MAIN] on the right side of
the page to go to the page from which you can download iso
files from the repository of KDE, Mate, and XFCE choices of
DE and from the Community repository of various other DEs,
via torrent or http download.  You can also download copies
of the Newsletter via the Main page.
If you want to participate you can register for free at the
Forum.  You will see more requests to donate if you participate.
Donations of money and of time help support this distribution.

     John D.  Logged on late to the Meeting and seemed to be
talking to Michael P.  He said he was calling from outside
San Francisco

     About 1:06 PM Tom and I decided to leave the meeting.
If John D. and Michael continued the conversation in a useful
manner please let us know.

     Now I would add a precis of the current Linux Pro magazine
for the August issue #249 but I am too tired to do that so I will
give you the URL to a*preview* which is brighter and more colorful
than my mailer will produce.

Preview Issue
<https://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2021/249?utm_source=LMI+preview&utm_campaign=Issue+249+%2F+August+2021_2021-07-02&utm_medium=email>

If you want a print copy of the magazine you can pick one
up at the home of fine and very expensive Chocolate as well
as many magazines, greeting cards, blank books and novelty
items  which is located on Market Street East of 1st Street
*FOG CITY NEWS and they have an email newsletter.*

	Now the next San Francisco LUG meeting will be
held for in person attendance at the Cafe Enchante on
August 1, 2021 from 11 AM to 1 PM and virtually via
<https://meet.jit.si/sf-lug.org> at the same time.

	I fully intend if alive to be there.

	Bobbie Sellers