[sf-lug] Upcoming Meeting, Distribution Librarian

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Thu Jun 3 07:26:31 PDT 2021

Quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> from [1]:
> The next meeting will be on Sunday June 6, from 11 AM to 1 PM
> via *<https://meet.jit.si/sf-lug.org>

Will attempt to again participate at this SF-LUG meeting from the same
location as I did for the Jit.si meeting of November 1, 2020 [2].
As per the "Suggestions" paragraph within [2], plan to use a different
desktop PC located much closer to the WAP in order to reduce "the severe
audio and video lag times" previously experienced.
And also might use the Chromium browser ;-)

Further quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> from [1]:
> Over the last month I have overdone exertions a couple of time and it
> took me about 5 days each time to recuperate.  I suggest if anyone
> wants to take over the convening of SF-LUG meeting or become the
> Distribution Librarian that they stand up and say so on the email
> list ASAP.

Well, do not in any way wish to "take over" the convening of SF-LUG
meetings myself, but will point out that there already *is* a pre-existing
local Bay Area resource for Linux Distributions....

Quoting Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> from [3]
regarding his BALUG's 'giveaways (& wanted), hardware, CDs/DVDs,
books/publications, ...' :
Okay, so the physical may be on hold or require special arrangements due
to COVID-19 - but notwithstanding that - and some of these quite still
apply ...

We typically have various giveaway items at BALUG meetings.  We'll
likely have at least the below plus additional items.

(could probably be arranged via snail mail or such, if needed)
CDs/DVDs/ISOs, etc. - have a look here:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
Donations of blank or +-RW media, USB flash, or funding thereof, also
appreciated.  See the above URL for details (and the inventory (qty.) of
what we specifically have "burned" and available on-hand does also tend to
change).

The direct link to Michael's BALUG Distribution Library is [4].
A cursory view of the top-half of his current Distribution Library[4]
shows that the listings (but not the currently *available* media!) appear
to be most heavily skewed towards Debian GNU/Linux.

Cannot in any manner speak for Michael whether or not he would even wish
to assume the role of *the* SF-LUG Distribution Librarian, though :-\

Merely pointing out this potential resource for bona fide, most definitely
gpg-signature-validated [5] ;-D Linux distribution media.

-A