[sf-lug] Switch meeting from Jitsi to Zoom

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 10 01:12:04 PDT 2020

Quoting Glen Jarvis (glen at glenjarvis.com):

> I was the person who originally asked for us to continue meeting
> online during COVID and had sponsored the first Zoom meetings.

Just so you know, because you have this with 'p=reject' in your domain's
DNS...

$ dig -t txt _dmarc.glenjarvis.com +short
"v=DMARC1\; p=reject\; rua=mailto:glen at glenjarvis.com\; ruf=mailto:glen at glenjarvis.com\; fo=1"
$

...your postings to this and most other mailing lists, upon
retransmission by Mailman to subscribers, if those subscribers'
receiving MTAs enforce your DMARC policy, the subscriber copy
will be rejected as a forgery.

In consequence also, such subscribers get their 'bounce scores'
incremented every time you (or anyone from a domain with a DMARC
"p=reject" policy) posts.  For example, a bunch of sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
subscribers partcipating from yahoo.com free webmail addresses did -not-
get your posting (because Yahoo, which invented DMARC, enforces senders'
DMARC policies), and some of them just got their subscription delivery
disabled for excessive bounce score.

(I'm about to manually toggle delivery back on, for those subscribers.)

Personally, I decline to implement DMARC, considering Yahoo to have
severely botched its design and implementation.

You're of course welcome to decide differently:  It's your domain, after
all.  But I wanted to make sure you're aware of the mailing-list-hostile
effects of a p=reject DMARC policy, and aren't surprised when this
continues to heppen.

(Subscribers who didn't see Glen's message, including all subscribers
participating from yahoo.com webmail addresses:  You can see what he
wrote via the Web archive.  See link at bottom.)

> I believe Jitsi aligns more with the Open Source Linux thinking and it
> would be the first choice if it is sufficient for the group.

It's actually named Jitsi _Meet_, you know.

There are quite a number of projects launched under the Jitsi umbrella.
Jitsi Meet is just one among them.