[sf-lug] Jit.se meeting notes for today Sunday, August 2, 2020

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 3 22:18:12 PDT 2020

> From: "Bobbie Sellers" <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] Jit.se meeting notes for today Sunday, August 2, 2020
> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 08:02:50 -0700

>     One annoyance was the "barbershop mirror problem" where
> the shared screen starts duplicating itself and we are unable
> to do much to get out of that probem until the user of the
> shared screen shuts down the extra images we recieve,

Hey, it's a "feature".  ;-)  Also called video feedback ... but
a slower version (Ever point your video camera at the TV that's
monitoring the video camera ... and move/zoom in/out to get about a 1:1
ratio?  Ah, those were the days ... and you could tilt the camera
ever-so-slightly to get the "infinite" slightly spinny video feedback
effect.  Whee!).

Anyway, Jitsi and "barbershop" mirrors or the like.  One is never at
the mercy of watching someone else's video or screen.  You can
click or type "w" to toggle the view ... from a tiled form of
all/most window views of equal size, vs. focused on just one.
There's also "f" to show/hide the thumbnails, if one is in the
mode that's focused on one window.
One can also type digits 0 through 9 to focus on oneself and up to the
next 9 additional participants, and focus on that view/video/screen
being shown (or just abbreviation if you/they aren't sharing such).
By default Jitsi will jump and focus in on the window/view of
whomever's "talking" (well, most audio voice(/noise?)), but one
can always pick a specific view/window, or tiled form, and
hide thumbnails or not.  And can always click thumbnail to
focus on that - and especially if there are more than 10
participants.  Anyway, typing "?" in Jitsi shows a quite nice
set of shortcuts.  Among them, using " " (SPACE) for
push-to-talk is good - especially in noisier environments.
Can also use "m" to toggle mute on/off.
Can probably do most or all of these things clicky Ewey GUI way,
but the keyboard shortcuts are also quite handy.