[sf-lug] curious about this ~/calendar (& calendar(1))

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 1 02:07:26 PDT 2020

> From: "Akkana Peck" <akkana at shallowsky.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Domain expiration, and calendars
> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 13:04:29 -0600

> Michael Paoli writes:
>> And/or one can place it on calendar(s) that are actually regularly
>> looked at, updated, and reviewed.
>>
>> E.g.:
>> $ sed -ne '1,/^2020-06/d;/letsencrypt/d;/sf-*lug/p' ~/calendar
>
> I do that too: I have a remind file (for /usr/bin/remind) that runs
> in my .zlogin and includes reminders for all the domains I care about.
>
> But I'm curious about this ~/calendar you mention. What program is
> that for? I always wonder about local calendaring solutions on
> Linux. In particular, is there any calendar program that can import
> from ical format? I keep meaning to write an ical-to-remind script
> but haven't gotten around to it yet, and it seems strange that I
> can't seem to find anything like that already written.

It's a holdover/evolution from calendar(1).
https://manpages.debian.org/stable/bsdmainutils/calendar.1.en.html
But calendar(1) is kind'a annoying in that - at least last I I looked
at in any detail ... doesn't do ISO date format ... so ... Y2K ... and
sorting, etc.  I keep ~/calendar with leading date[/time] in ISO format,
and in chronological order ... sorts nicely, easy to find/verify
stuff in there, etc.  I really don't use it with calendar(1) anymore,
... but did once-upon a time (like <~=1998).