[sf-lug] Domain expiration, and calendars

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Jul 30 12:04:29 PDT 2020

Rick Moen writes:
> Come to think if it --  y'know -- you could set up a recurring cron job
> to check for you.  Example cron job below relies on an earlier Perl tool
> called domain-check, but Jesse Monroy's d-check, which is actually
> (somewhat) maintained, is a deliberately compatible replacement Perl
> script.

Or if you don't like d-check, I have a python script I use:
https://github.com/akkana/scripts/blob/master/domaincheck.py
Unfortunately there's no python module in Debian that actually
works for checking domains, so this requires python-whois from pip3,
which is a different module from the package called python3-whois
on Debian/Ubuntu.

But since I don't always remember to run that (I don't have it
in cron as Rick so sensibly recommends), ...

Michael Paoli writes:
> And/or one can place it on calendar(s) that are actually regularly
> looked at, updated, and reviewed.
>
> E.g.:
> $ sed -ne '1,/^2020-06/d;/letsencrypt/d;/sf-*lug/p' ~/calendar

I do that too: I have a remind file (for /usr/bin/remind) that runs
in my .zlogin and includes reminders for all the domains I care about.

But I'm curious about this ~/calendar you mention. What program is
that for? I always wonder about local calendaring solutions on
Linux. In particular, is there any calendar program that can import
from ical format? I keep meaning to write an ical-to-remind script
but haven't gotten around to it yet, and it seems strange that I
can't seem to find anything like that already written.

        ...Akkana