[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for July 5, 2020

tom r lopes tomrlopes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 02:48:32 PDT 2020

Yes Owen, sorry I didn't get to meet you.
But I think, maybe you would be interested in the Berkeley.Pi group.

We meet 3rd Sundays 11am till whenever.  Find us on the Jitsi page

meet.jit.si/Pi.BerkeleyLug

(note the new URL to match the current branding)

None of us is expert at the Pi, but are open to everyone trying
and learning new things.

I have not yet tried motioneyeOS  Back in the day I did run
Zoneminder (https://zoneminder.com/) with some very cheap
IP cameras and it was alright but for picture quality.  But I kinda found
that better cameras just get you a really good picture of someone
you don't know :-)  (If you expect it is someone in your
neighborhood -- then that's a different story)

Also mentioned was the Jitsi client app here:
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron
It is an App Image.  I had no idea what an appimage was but
it seems to be self contained.  Just download, make executable,
and double click.
Even easier just connect to theJitsi meet server in a browser.

Rick talked about working on a private Jitsi Meet server.  Sounds like
he has just begun. Hopefully he'll have more to say next time.

Rick also mentioned a Raspberry Pi -like sbc with pci-e
The RockPro64:
http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=ROCKPro64
It has an actual 4x pci-e slot on the board!  Amazing.
And the price is not far from a Pi4.

http://labs.domipheus.com/blog/raspberry-pi-4-pci-express-it-actually-works-usb-sata-gpu/
>> (requires a hot air soldering station and some experience)
>> Another person made a little 2-layer pcb that can be
>> soldered down instead of all those tiny jumper wires.

https://hackaday.com/2020/07/01/adding-pcie-to-your-raspberry-pi-4-the-easier-way/

Late in the meeting we talked a little about running Linux on a
Chromebook.
The non-ancient Chromebooks have builtin Legacy boot option which
you can get if you enable Developer mode.
My Samsung Chromebox didn't have this option.
All ChromeOS devices run a Coreboot firmware (I can't find the
details on the Coreboot wiki but they are here on the Google Git:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/coreboot/)
Stock Coreboot images:  https://johnlewis.ie/Chromebook-ROMs/shellballs/
Modified Coreboot firmware (UEFI support) at https://mrchromebox.tech/
Also find /u/MrChromebox on Reddit

Support for Atom Baytrail and later in 5.8 kernel:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.8-Media-Updates
These Intel CPU's were meant to compete for the Tablet and cellphone
market but not much success.  So kinda abandoned by Intel.  And
much of the hardware is integrated into the CPU. Linux drivers have
taken a while to catch up.
I have a couple Baytrail 2-in-1 tablets.  They are similar to the Intel
Compute Stick.  Only 1 to 2GB ram and Emmc storage.  32bit UEFI
even though the CPU is 64bit.  Used to be you needed a heavily
patched Linux to use much of the hardware.  But later kernels
have sound, touch screens, etc, working.  They run very nice
with LXDE.  I think with a little bit of code you could get tablet
mode to work automatically in LXDE.

Anyways, That is what I remember of the meeting.

See you next time,

Thomas

     Well I had tuned in early than every one to check the camera.