[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting (from earlier) today, etc.

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 5 19:44:22 PDT 2020

> From: alexkleider <alexkleider at protonmail.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] meeting
> Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2020 18:18:56 +0000

> No meeting today? (Jitsi or Zoom or ...)

Yes meeting happened today:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2020q3/014914.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2020q3/014915.html
Both the URL, and even the Dial-in & PIN remained unchanged,
so I didn't deem it necessary/warranted to update the earlier
posting as it was posted less than 48 hours in advance,
and the information remained unchanged.

> From: "Owen Peery" <okpeery at gmail.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] SF LUG today
> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 15:27:44 -0700

> I'm trying to use motioneyeOS to setup a security camera on a Raspberry Pi
> 3b+ to monitor the area where we had the arson. I keep getting stuck as the
> directions I've seen are approximations, not really fully step by step, as
> I need, since I'm a bit of a newcomer to Linux. If anyone has done this
> before, let me know, I might have a few questions.

There's also Pi.BerkeleyLUG (SIG of BerkeleyLUG) - might ask on list
(uses BerkeleyLUG list, just include Pi.BerkeleyLUG in Subject: header).
Also meets monthly.
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:covid-19
https://berkeleylug.com/Pi.BerkeleyLUG/

> From: "Bobbie Sellers" <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for July 5, 2020
> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 16:52:05 -0700

>     But with Jitsi you need to use Firefox in the latest version or Chromium.

Sufficiently recent browser will do.  Doesn't necessarily need to be
the latest leading/bleeding edge browser.
For Jitsi, I've mostly been using:
$ dpkg -l firefox-esr | cat
||/ Name           Version             Architecture Description
+++-==============-===================-============-============================================================
ii  firefox-esr    68.10.0esr-1~deb9u1 amd64        Mozilla Firefox
web browser - Extended Support Release (ESR)
$
And in the above, one might state/argue, "Useless use of cat!", but, ah,
there is a reason.
$ dpkg -l firefox-esr
adjusts for screen width, and truncates a bit of data,
whereas with dpkg's stdout not being a tty device, it uses
a sufficiently wide format (not sure if it just defaults to wider, or
uses whatever's sufficiently wide to display all the data).

Anyway, reports seem to be that a "recent enough" Chromium, Chrome,
or Firefox seems to work quite well enough.  Results may vary on
other browsers.

> screen.   Also asap you should get a name and at least an initial up
> on the Jitsi screen.

Yes, I think it defaults to "Fellow Jitster" or the like, though it may
do a default based on OS and invoking id or utmp (who am I) data, and
even browser, and may pass that along ... or not.  Might also depend
upon the OS's access to the data or related factors.

To set it, just click on the 3 dots in the bottom right, scroll to the
top of that list where it shows whatever name/label it's presently
identifying one with, then one can click there to set name and
(optionally) email.  So you can adjust how it shows one on there.
Perhaps it defaults to first sub-field of GECOS, or if that's null
goes to "Fellow Jitster" ... or uses some such algorithm.

Dial-in - shows the CNID data, or if that's not provided,
Anonymous. (A1, A2, ...).

Oh, one of many advantages of doing audio on computer - one can
adjust (at least downward or mute) the volume individually, of
any participants.  Don't think that can be done on Dial-in (except
to mute/unmute oneself).  "Of course" Dial-in also has advantages
of typically more solid and lower latency connection - at least
if/where that is or may be an issue.  One also has to press "1"
on dial-in, at the 2 hr. mark to continue ... and respond
relatively quickly ... this time I was fast enough to not get
dropped ... by watching the time a bit, and anticipating that
prompting.

> screen you are seen on then if the bandwidth is low you can reduce the video
> quality and you can put your background out of focus. Very handy for those
> of use with less attractive backgrounds.

At the lowest setting on video, it doesn't even pass video (or likewise
screen sharing).

>     Michael Paoli who seemed to be having camera problems and was sharing
> a terminal screen with us;

Camera works fine - I figure sharing screen is generally more interesting.
I was mostly mucking about with awstats.  Also poked a bit at
virtual machine (VM) - balug - which hosts all things SF-LUG.org
excepting list and DNS slaves - live migrated it from one physical
machine and back - all during the meeting and with the VM up and running
the whole time.  I also, in a matter of less than minute(s), got
a (test/staging) letsencrypt.org TLS(/"SSL") cert and showed that ...
but may have been too late for Al to have seen it.
Also provided URL to where fair bit 'o that code can be
browsed:
https://www.balug.org/~mycert/
https://www.balug.org/~mycert/bin/Getcerts

> or SAD days.
> One of the attendees, Thomas, it may have been was happy to discuss
> exactly what
> he does as a Computer Sciences teacher from Kindergarten thru 8th grade and
> he has been trying to get computers refurbished to hand out to kids whose
> families are suffering computer shortages at this SAD time.

Oh, I forgot to mention related to that:
http://www.partimus.org/
Hopefully y'all are - or can be - connected on that.
Not sure exactly how active Partimus is at present (and especially
with COVID-19), but I know also they've even recently gotten offer
of large equipment donation, and are trying to figure out where/how
to store it (and/or otherwise get it distributed).

>     From there it went to discussion of various software, and a site
> that Rick
> M. is trying to learn more about.
Notably discussion of setting up Jitsi server, and resources,
and Single-Sign-On integration (OAUTH I think was mentioned?)
... for a (Sci-Fi?) convention/gathering going virtual.